Bremen-Huchting

From GenWiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchy

Regional Research > Germany, after 1989 > Bremen > Huchting

Localization of Huchting within Bremen

Contents

General Informations

History (survey)

10.000 - 800 B.C. 
Huchting was transit and settlers land during Stone, Bronze and Iron Age. Archeological findings, i.e. on the Hohen Horst, prove this.
1st Century A.D. 
Settlings of Chauken, later Saxons. Likely the trade with the Romans developed.
5/6th century 
Saxon invasion into England. Embossings on containers found in England, are provable also in Huchting.
780 
The Saxons were surrendered by Karl der Große (Charlemagne). Bremen and around become mission area.
1062 
First documentary mention of Brokhuchting as " Huchtinghebroch ". The area is bequeathed by king Heinrich IV to the church of Bremen. The name interpretation is disputed, eventually the name is a derivation of the " Hohen Thing ", a Germanic assembly place.
1171 
"Huhtinge" mentioned. Beside the archbishops above all, the counts of Oldenburg and Delmenhorst have influence in the Vieland. By donations the monastery Heiligenrode receives large areas of land.
1158 
The river Ochtum for the first time mentioned as "Ochtmund" = mouth of Ochtum. Later also written as "Ochen", "Ochtmoni" or "Oggen".
1200 
Beginning of the dyke construction.
Beginning 13th.cent. 
In Huchting and other land areas, village churches are built. The power of the archbishops of Bremen reaches its climax.
1234 
Stedinger wars. For its assistance the city of Bremen receives extensive concessions from archbishop Gerhard II. During the next decades the citizens of Bremen can increasingly acquire property in the surrounding areas of Bremen. Later a prohibition follows to sell land to non-Bremen people.
1288 
Kirchhuchting first time mentioned as "Kerchhoytiggen".
1297 
Bremen buys the fishery of the Ochtum from Otto of Oldenburg.
1309 
The Warturm (watchtower) is mentioned. It guards the crossing of the Wardamm over the Ochtum, an elevated trade route towards Delmenhorst. Several times there are disputes because of the escort right with the counts of Delmenhorst.
1338 
Varrelgraben mentioned for the first time as "Verlgraben".
1384 
Mittelshuchting mentioned for the first time ("Miyddelshuchtinghe"). Beforehand the way of writing "Westerhuchtingen" was usual.
1449 
At the Warturm a toll post is installed to catch up with the high cost of maintaining the Wardamm.
1526 
Christoph of Verden overruns and devastates the Vieland with 5000 (!) of his men. Huchting is partly destroyed.
1531-35 
the Wardamm is paved.
1549 
The probably first Protestant minister Johannes Kelner is mentioned as "nu tor tydt Kerchere to Huchtingen".
1571 
"Im Februario war wieder ein groß Wasser umb Bremen, dergleichen kein Mensch gedacht hätte. Der Steinweg bis zum Warturm ging weg und trieben die Brucken weg, so zwischen dem Turm und Huchting waren. Vor dem Tore ging man zu Schiffe und fuhr nach dem Varel-Graben." - (In February was again a water flood around Bremen, no man would have imagined. The paved way up to the Warturm disappeared and the bridges between the tower and Huchting drove away. At the gate people used ships and drove to Varel Graben.)
1598 
Huchting is integrated to the district Obervieland and finally under the full control of Bremen. The prosperity of the farmers reaches a high point.
1618-48 
During the thirty years war in 1626 Huchting is plundered and partly burned down. The minister Gerhard Rösing reports 1631 that half of the population is deceased, and the remainder in miserable condition, due to taxes and compulsory services.
1649 
The village school is founded. First schoolmaster is Johann Erkes (until 1689!).
1679 
Beginning of church record keeping with a birth register.
1733 
Simon Nullmeyer successor of his father schoolmaster Friedrich. He provides this office until 1789.
1775 
Werner Neumeier is minister in Huchting. He has to flee because of adultery. His successor becomes Heinrich Lampe, who remains until 1817.
1795 
French emigrant troops are quartered in Huchting and Grolland. In the estate Gut Grolland lives the Earl of Artois, who later becomes King of France as Karl X.
1803 
Reichsdeputations-Hauptschluß (main conclusion of Deputation of the Reich). Grolland becomes part of Bremen. The inhabitants remain however under the clerical administration in Stuhr.
1810 
Huchting becomes part of the French Empire. It belongs to the Mairie Woltmershausen, canton of the land areas. The first census results in a number of 468 inhabitants.
1811 
Introduction of the civil register of births and deaths, separation of jurisdiction and administration, standardization of measures and weights.
1813 
Liberation of Bremen by Russian troops. Huchting becomes again an independent municipality.
1814 
Own civil register of births, marriages and deaths in Huchting.
1850 
Removal of the last remainig dairy-farmer obligations through one-time payment to the Domänenkammer Hannover, which in the meantime took over the estates of the monastery Heiligenrode.
1858 
Bremen, since 1854 completely surrounded by districts of the Deutschen Zollverein (German Toll Assosiation) relocates its customs border back up to the Warturm. Huchting remains under customs administration through Bremen. At the borders smuggle is growing.
1867 
Construction of the railway between Bremen and Oldenburg. The railway station Huchtinger Bahnhof is being build.
1878 
The old village church is torn down, after the meeting of the local administration rejects the reorganization. Since the costs of the new building are substantial, the senate approves a collection in the land area.
1879 
The new church, designed in neo-gothic style, opens its doors.
1884 
Huchting is taken into the address book of Bremen.
1888 
Bremen joins the German toll districts, wherefore the smuggle finds an end.
1900 
The number of inhabitans has rose up to 1200. Increasing numbers of workers and craftsmen move to Huchting.
1904 
Grolland is set under clerical administration of Huchting.
1909 
The "Petroleumkönig" (petrol magnat) Schütte is responsible for the construction of the street Duckwitzstraße between Grolland and Huchting. The distance to the city shortens down to abt. 4,5 km.
1910 
Construction of the narrow-gauge railway between Bremen and Thedinghausen, which is called "Pingel-Heini" by popular tongue. (Henry's bell).
1914-18 
The First World War. Altogether 63 Huchtinger die, primarily at the west and east front.
1919 
Carl Hurtzig is elected to the municipality chief, he is the first non-farmer elected. The social structure of the population begins to change.
1924 
Huchting is attached to the main electricity.
1933 
National Socialist "seizure of power". The municipality chief Carl Hurtzig is "removed". The "Freie Turnerschaft" (free gymnastic club) is forbidden. The workers bibliothek is closed down.
1934 
Beginning of extensive housebuilding measures by settler communities at the Roggenkamp and other places.
1936-40 
Grolland is cultivated according to plan. In the context of the NS autarcy efforts the gardens are to serve for the " self-sufficiency ". The number of inhabitants rises to 7500.
Since 1941 
intensified air war against Bremen. Target in Huchting is the armament factoy. The workers, who were called-up for military service are substituted by increasing numbers of forced laborers and prisoners of war.
1945 
In April british troups reached Huchting. Soldiers and civilists lost their lives during the defense fights. On the 21st of April Huchting was occupied.


Socities, Religious Communities

Evangelical parishes

St. Georgs-Gemeinde (St. George parish)

Kirchhuchtinger Landstr. 24
D-28259 Bremen

The St. George Parish is the successor of the former Evangelical Parish of Kirchhuchting. Only newer churchbooks are available. Older ones are in the Maus, in the State Archive Bremen or at the Bremen Evangelical Church.


St. Matthäus-Gemeinde (St. Matthews parish)

Hermannsburg 32 C
D-28259 Bremen

Founded as an independent parish on 18 February 1960 (before part of St. George parish). The church were inaugurated in 1966.


Dietrich-Bonhoeffer-Gemeinde

Luxemburger Strasse 29
D-28259 Bremen

Founded as an independent parish on 01 April 1964 (before part of St. George parish). The church were inaugurated in 1971.


St. Johannes-Sodenmatt (St. John-Sodenmatt)

Am Sodenmatt 23
D-28259 Bremen

Founded as an independent parish on 01 April 1964 (before part of St. George parish). The church were inaugurated in 1972.


St. Lukas (Grolland)

Am Vorfeld 22
D-28259 Bremen

Founded as an independent parish on 01 March 1954 (before part of St. George parish). the church were inaugurated in 1964.

Catholic parish

St. Pius

Willakedamm 6
D-28259 Bremen
Web adress: http://www.kirche-bremen.de/kgib/gemeinden/pius.htm

New Apostolical Church

New Apostolical Church

Am Sodenmatt 45 A
D-28259 Bremen

Genealogical and Historical Documents

Parish registers

The parish registers of the former Evangelical parish of Kirchhuchting (now St. George parish) are located at the Bremen State Archive but usually not accessable. The State Archive produced photocopies and Microfiches which can be used in the working room of the MAUS.

  • Baptisms
    • 1679 Mar 3 - 1856 Jan 6 available
    • 1856 Jan. 7 - 1868 available only in the archive of the Bremen Evangelical Church
    • 1869-1870 not delivered
    • 1871 - 1903 available (only at the State Archive)
    • 1904 and following at the parish
  • Public notices
    • not delivered till 1767
    • 1768 Apr 24 - 1820 Apr 23 available
    • 1820 Apr 24 - 1870 not delivered
    • 1871 - 1904 Jan 10 available (only at the State Archive)
  • Marriages
    • not delivered till 1707
    • 1708 - 1820 Apr. 23 available
    • 1820 Apr 24 - 1870 not delivered
    • 1871 - 1904 Jan. 10 available (only at the State Archive)
    • 1904 Jan 11 and following at the parish
  • Funerals
    • not delivered till 1708
    • 1709 - 1825 available
    • 1826 - 1870 not delivered
    • 1871 - 1903 available (only at the State Archive)
    • 1904 and following ?
  • Confirmations
    • not delivered till 1775
    • 1776 - 1903 available (with gaps, since 1868 only at the State Archive)
    • 1904 - 1937 not delivered
    • 1938 and following at the parish

Index is available.

Literature

Personal tools
GenWiki-internal
In other languages