Modifications in Gedcom Version 5.5.1 compared to Gedcom 5.5
All pages refer to the document: http://www.phpgedview.net/ged551-5.pdf
- Editorial corrections.
- Added continuation tags to the header copyright tags (see HEADER, page 23.)
- Added email, fax, and web page addresses to the address structure (see ADDRESS_STRUCTURE, page 31.)
- Added a status tag to the child to family link (see CHILD_TO_FAMILY_LINK, page 31.)
- Added a restriction notice tag to the family record to allow a source database to indicate why data may not have been supplied in the transmission. (see FAMILY_RECORD, page 24.)
- Also added a restriction notice tag to the EVENT_DETAIL structure page 32 to allow an event to be flagged so that it can be treated in special ways such as not to be printed on reports.
- Added additional subordinate structure to the personal name structure (see PERSONAL_NAME_STRUCTURE, page 38.) These changes are in preparation for handling more varied cultures as we move into the unicode character set environment.
- Added subordinate map coordinates and other additional changes to the place structure (see PLACE_STRUCTURE, page 38.) These changes are in preparation for handling more varied cultures as we move into the unicode character set environment and to allow recording of map coordinates to places such as burial cites.
- Added a subordinate affiliated religion tag to the event detail substructure (see EVENT_DETAIL, page 32.)
- Added a generic FACT tag to the individual attribute structure. Previously, the generic EVEN tag was used. The FACT was added to give a semantic difference between generic events and generic facts or characteristics (see INDIVIDUAL_ATTRIBUTE_STRUCTURE, page 33.)
- Removed the option for encoding embedded multimedia objects. A file reference to a multimedia file and its subordinate format and media types were added to the multimedia record. Multiple file references can now be used to group related multimedia objects. This changed the multimedia link by placing the FORM tag subordinate to the FILE tag rather than at the same 7 level. The BLOB tag was eliminated. See FILE tag and its subordinate FORM tag used in the MULTIMEDIA_RECORD page 26 and the MULTIMEDIA_LINK page 37.
- The following tags were added:
- EMAIL electronic mailing address
- FAX FAX address
- FACT A fact or characteristic.
- FONE Phonetic variation of a text.
- ROMN Romanized variation of a text.
- WWW Web Home page address.
- MAP Pertaining to maps.
- LATI value of a latitudinal coordinate pertaining to the place of an event
- LONG value of a longitudinal coordinate pertaining to the place of an event.
- The following tag was removed: BLOB