Coat of Arms
The Lower Saxony Coat of Arms shows a jumping white horse on red ground.
The national colors of Lower Saxony are black, red and gold.
here: description of the area, frontiers, size, population
(As of 1 January 2005)
Lower Saxony consists of 38 Counties (in german Kreis) and 8 independent Cities. The former Administrative Districts Braunschweig, Hannover, Lüneburg and Weser-Ems were dissolved at 31 December 2004.
Historical political structure
Historical territories on the area of Lower Saxony:
- Kingdom Hannover (till 1866)
- Prussian Province Hannover (1866-1946)
- Grand Duchy Oldenburg (Free State 1918-1946)
- Principality Schaumburg-Lippe
- Duchy Braunschweig
Genealogical and historical societies
Genealogical and historcial documents
- Official Website of the Federal State Lower Saxony
- East Frisian Embassy Ostfriesischen Botschaft