Ostholstein, County

From GenWiki

Jump to: navigation, search

In 1970, the districts of Eutin and Oldenburg united as a consequence of territorial reform. The respective shields also came together to form a new shield: The tower came from the shield of the Oldenburg district whereas the cross and the mitre of a bishop are parts from the old shield of the Eutin district.

The old district Eutin historically originated from the Lübeck diocese. The entire Ostholstein district has slavic roots. The slavic tribe of the Wagrier had her prince seat in the town Starigard (in german: Oldenburg = old castle, as the town ist called also today!) and in Süsel (southern from Eutin) they had a flight castle. -

(Wagrier = name of the slavic tribes, which lived before the 10th and 11th centuries in this area and is also the origin of the present name of this area: Wagrien!!) The large scale conversion to Christianity began in the year 1149, when Vicelin became the first bishop of Oldenburg.

The clerigyman Helmold lived in Bosau on the eastside of the "Großer Plöner See" (Big Lake Plön). This village became part of the diocese of Vicelin. Helmold wrote "Chronik der Slawen" (Chronicle of the Slavs) which was the first contemporary representation of the history of the Wagrien landscape and the german eastward settlement. This settlement was founded with settlers from Friesland, Flandern (part of the Netherlands) and Westphalia (near the present western Germany town of Münster) after Vicelin christianized Wagrien.

Due to sharp conflicts between the interwaven parts of the power of the nobility, the church and the push for uniting, the history of Ostholstein is full of confusion, divisions and unision. Once Eutin, an old Dutch settlement, got a castle, it became an important place of refuge for the bishops from Lübeck, whenever a rebellion broke out in the metropolis of Hanse. As a result Eutin became a regular bishop seat in the 14th century. This situation led to demands of the Danish Kings as well as the Dukes of Gottorp (seat in the town Schleswig) and later to demands of the Russian Grand Princes regarding the area of Ostholstein.

In 1867 the prussian Oldenburg district was build and was administered by the town Cismar upon til 1921. In 1867 the oldenburg dukedom of Lübeck became an autonomous State, at last with a "Regierungspräsident" (governina president) in the town Eutin. (Attention: In the last case, Oldenburg in Oldenburg/Lower Saxony is referred to. - We have two towns of Oldenburg in Germany. Oldenburg in Holstein was a part of Oldenburg in Oldenburg/Lower Saxony in this time!!!)

In 1937 this oldenburg dukedom of Lübeck became a "normal" district under the leadernis of a "Landrat". This was less a consequence of Hitler's "Gleichschaltungspolitik" (politics bring into line) as a "Gebietsreform" (territorial reform), which had been planed for a long time. The economic "aorta" in today's Ostholstein is beyond doubt the "Bundesstraße 207" (federal street No. 207), which in the south is conected to the "Autobahn 215" (highway No. 215). In the north, the "B 207" was lengthened in the 1960's when a big bridge over the "Sund" (sound) was build.

(The Fehmarn-Sund is the small water between the mainland and the island of Fehmarn! - The water of the Baltic Sea between the German island Fehmarn and the Danish island Lolland is called Fehmarn-Belt!)

The "B 207" is a part of the route (railway and street) between the German harbour-city Hamburg and Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark, which is called the "Vogelfluglinie" (bird's flying line).

(This name has its origin in the fact, that every year in spring and fall the big flocks of birds, which spend the summer in Scandinavia and the winter in Southwest Europe and Africa, fly over the island of Fehmarn. The Fehmarn-Belt is the shortest way across the Baltic Sea between Scandinavia and western Europe.)

The opening of this "Vogelfluglinie" in the 1960th made Fehmarn with its little village of Puttgarden the "Tor zum Norden". Every year 5 million travellers pass through this gateway to the north.

But not all just pass through, many of the travellers stay. Along the streets of the seaside resorts of Dahme to Grömitz and Scharbeutz to Timmendorf, as well as around Malente we see a high concentration of tourism. Such concentration can be seen only in the areas of Nordfriesland/Schleswig-Holstein, Black Forest/Badem Würthemberg and "Oberbayern" ("Ober" means in this case the high - southern - parts of Bavaria. - The opposite is Niederbayern, the lower parts in the North of Bavaria, where the landscape has not so high mountains.)

Personal tools
GenWiki-internal
In other languages